- Consultant Neil Cook
- Type Full time
- Product Sector Building Products
- Benefits Car, Phone, Laptop, Expense Cards, And 25 Days Holiday
- Vacancy id 3936
- Salary Details Excellent Basic + Bonus
Due to continued expansion this important new role has been created by our client. It is one of the UK’s fastest growing distributors of construction products for a range of applications including fire protection, thermal and acoustic insulation, roofing, suspended ceilings, partitions and interior systems. They operate via a branch network strategically positioned to optimise efficiency and speed of delivery and pride themselves on having knowledgeable teams providing excellent customer service levels.
Reporting to the Branch Director, The Operations Manager will take responsibility for the transport and warehouse activities at the branch, running a fleet of 28 vehicles and managing an operational team of around 40 people via transport and warehouse function managers and ensure that all operations are carried out efficiently and effectively.
The role includes responsibility for ensuring operations continue to run smoothly whilst implementing a new warehouse management system and inventory controls. Communication of budgets, KPIs and SLAs is integral, as is the monitoring and controlling of costs.
This is a leadership role with responsibility for people management. Coaching and developing the team will be important aspects of the role, ensuring efficiency whilst observing legislation related to Health and Safety, Transport and the Environment.
Customer Service & Performance
- Support and guide Transport and Warehouse Managers.
- Resource management, planning and allocation.
- Continuous operational improvement and best practice.
- Communication, internal, external, team briefings.
- Work with HR to recruit, manage and retain people.
- Paperwork completion in line with procedures.
- HSEQ records, induction and staff training.
- Legal compliance – H&S, transport, environmental etc.
- Procedural compliance and operating policy .
- ‘O’ Licence and FORS.
- Stock rotation, goods in and goods out quality control.
- Waste disposal and recycling.
- Accident reporting and report generation.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
Candidates must be customer focused team players with a ‘can-do’ attitude, have excellent communication skills and be driven by the achievement of results. Attention to detail, a proactive approach, commercial awareness and experience running a large distribution operation of around 40 operational employees is essential. Numeracy, literacy, IT knowledge (MS Office) and experienced in compliance with Operator Licence Legislation, strong health and safety experience and IOSH/NEBOSH certification is also required.
Ideally you will have experience of a change management programme in a similar environment and a proven track record in continuous improvement with a Lean Six Sigma qualification or similar.